Wobulenzi LCIII Chairman Arrested for Inciting Violence

Moses Ssebalamu Kayondo the LC 3 Chairperson of Wobulenzi town was arrested on Monday evening after recording a statement on violence that broke up on Saturday that led to the shooting of two people by Police during enforcement of curfew.

Audio 2

Moses Ssebalamu the LC 3 Chairperson of Wobulenzi town council has spent the night in Luwero Central Police Station cells after he was detained for allegedly inciting violence leading to the death of the truck driver.

Ssebalamu was arrested last evening (Monday) after recording a statement on violence that broke up on Saturday that led to the shooting of two people by Policemen during the enforcement of curfew.

Ivan Seppuuya, a resident of Kigulu zone and truck driver died at Mulago hospital on Monday. He was shot on Saturday as he was returning back home at around 8:30pm after buying boiled cow hooves from a roadside market in Wobulenzi town.

Beatrice Nakitende a resident of Kikoma zone is still nursing injuries at Mulago hospital after she was also shot while selling chips with her aunt in the market.

Isah Ssemwogerere the Savannah Regional Police says that Ssebalamu incited residents to attack policemen who were enforcing curfew guidelines resulting in the shooting of the two people in the fracas.

Ssemwogerere says that  Ssebalamu has been detained on charges of inciting violence and obstructing policemen on lawful duty and investigations into the cases are ongoing.

Erastus Kibirango the lawyer representing Ssebalamu said that he was summoned by the District Police Commander to appear before Police to record a statement which he did.

Kibirango who is also LC 5 Chairman of Luwero district adds that Ssebalamu gave an account of what he saw and denied any allegations that he mobilized residents to attack Policemen.

Cue in: “The mayor has…

Cue out;…its absurd”//

Luganda Byte

// Cue in: “Naye kyebaliiko…

Cue out;…amanyi ago”//

Earlier on Fred Enanga the Police Spokesperson told the media that Ssebalamu insulted and purposely mobilized against policemen on patrol to stop them from reaching his bar which was operating behind closed doors.

Enanga added that Policemen commanded by Officer in Charge Of Wobulenzi Police Station ASP Keneth Masette discharged 13 bullets in defense after residents pelted stones against them.

Meanwhile, Police maintained a heavy presence in Wobulenzi town throughout the night over fears that residents were planning to riot after getting information that Seppuuya had died in hospital and Ssebalamu had been detained.

Anti-riot Policemen from Luwero Central Police Station were deployed to beef up security in the town.