he Bank in a statement said the funding in form of grants and credits will be financed through International Development Association’s crisis response window.
The World Bank has
announced a three hundred million dollar grant towards the Ebola response in
neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Bank in a statement said the funding in form of grants
and credits will be financed through International Development Association’s
crisis response window.
The DRC has been battling Ebola
since August 2018. Over one thousand seven hundred people have died due to the
virus which was las week declared
as an international emergency by the World Health Organization (WHO).
The declaration followed fears the
Ebola Virus Disease could spread further to DRC’s neighbors, Uganda, South
Sudan and Rwanda among others.
World Bank CEO Kristalina
Georgieva said in a statement sad there is need take urgent action to stop the
deadly Ebola epidemic that is destroying lives and livelihoods in the
Democratic Republic of Congo.
The USD 300 million is
approximately half of the anticipated financing needspromised by the
government of DRC and the international consortium of partners involved in the
fight against Ebola. Other partners are expected to fulfill their pledges.
“The cash infusion adds to $100
million the organization has provided since the outbreak surfaced in August
2018” said Georgieva
Georgieva says communities and health workers on the
front line of this outbreak urgently need more support and resources from the
international community to prevent this crisis from worsening inside the
country and from spreading across borders.
In declaring the outbreak a Public
Health Emergency of International Concern on 17 July, WHO officials argued
global community’s response in money, technical assistance, and human resources
had been inadequate.
The funds have been given to cover responses in Ebola
affected health zones in DRC like those in Beni, Mabalako,Mandima and Katwa.
Currently these health zones have the highest number of new Ebola cases.
They will also be used by the DRC government, WHO, UNICEF, World Food
Programme, International Organisation of Migration and other responders to step
up the frontline health response, deliver cash-for-work programs to support the
local economy and strengthen resilience in the affected communities. It
will also be used to contain the spread of the virus.
The funding comes at a time when reports from DRC indicate that the disease is
on the increase. A situation report released by WHO shows the incidence
rates of the disease have remained constant with 65 out of 664 health areas
reporting any new cases within the North Kivu and Ituri Provinces. The outbreak
is heaviest in the health zones of Beni, Mabalako,Mandima and Katwa.
As of July 21,2019, a total of 2,592 Ebola cases were reported. 2,498 cases
have been confirmed with a total of 1,743 deaths reported since the outbreak
was declared in August,2018.